Family Relationship Centre

Helping families build better relationships

This brochure is also available in the following format.

  • Strengthening family relationships
  • Helping families stay together
  • Assisting families through separation

How can a Family Relationship Centre help?

A Family Relationship Centre can help you by providing information about family relationships at all stages – forming new relationships, overcoming relationship difficulties or dealing with separation. Centre staff can also refer you to other services that can help.

If you are experiencing separation, Centre staff will talk with you to help you focus on your children’s needs and help you decide what to do next.

Centres can also provide joint sessions with the other parent or family members to help you agree on parenting arrangements.

Centres also offer a range of other services and programs such as information sessions and seminars.

Are the services free?

Family Relationship Centres provide information, referral and individual sessions free of charge. Centres also provide up to one hour of joint sessions free of charge. Centres will charge clients earning $50,000 or more gross annual income $30 per hour for the second and third hours of family dispute resolution. Centres will provide the second and third hours of joint family dispute resolution, free of charge, to clients who earn less than $50,000 gross annual income or receive Commonwealth health and social security benefits. Centres may also charge fees in accordance with the Centre’s fees policy if further joint sessions are required. Centre staff will discuss these fees with you before commencing joint dispute resolution sessions.

Do I need a booking?

You don’t need a booking to get information, including information about programs and services available in your local area that can help strengthen family relationships.

If you are separating, you can make an appointment for a private interview. Please phone or drop into the Family Relationship Centre to make a time for an appointment.

Who can come with me?

If it is appropriate, you can bring family members or a support person with you, including your lawyer. However, attendance of lawyers at Centres is at the discretion of the service provider. If you are planning to bring your lawyer with you, you should discuss this with the Centre as early as possible.

What if I need an interpreter?

The Centre will arrange an interpreter if needed.

Will my details be kept private?

Your privacy is important to us and will be protected. Centres will only disclose personal information if you give permission or if required or authorised to by law, for example, to protect someone from harm.


Centres are committed to providing a safe environment and can put into place arrangements to assist with your safety or the safety of your children. You should let Centre staff know if you have any concerns as soon as possible.

Where can I find more information?

The Family Relationship Advice Line can provide information about Family Relationship Centres and about the location of your nearest Centre. If there are no Centres available in your location, the Advice Line can provide information and advice and can refer you to other services that can help.

You can call the Family Relationship Advice Line on 1800 050 321 between 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 10am to 4pm Saturday. The Advice Line uses interpreters if needed.

Family Relationships Online provides access to information about the changes to the family law system and about family relationship issues and services available to assist families. You can also find out the location of your nearest Family Relationship Centres through Family Relationships Online.

Family Relationships Online at


© Commonwealth of Australia 2018 : Last modified 1/09/2015 11:32 AM