Financial Advice

People whose relationship has recently ended can benefit from guidance and information about managing money.

There are a range of government-funded services that can assist people with financial issues after separation. Information and referral to these services is available through the Family Relationship Advice Line on 1800 050 321.

Advice is also available from a licenced financial adviser.

Family payments and child support

If you have children, your family payments may change after separation.

Services Australia provides advice for separating or separated families about family payments and child support.

Financial Information Service

Services Australia provides a free education and information service on financial issues.

This service is not provided by financial planners or counsellors and does not give financial advice.

Information about what to look for when choosing a financial planner is also available.

ASIC’s MoneySmart

The Australian Securities and Investment Commission’s MoneySmart website provides financial guidance for separating and divorced people. MoneySmart also has useful calculators, budget tools and apps.

It also provides information about financial counselling and a financial counsellor finding service.

Financial wellbeing and capability services

The Australian Government in partnership with community organisations provides support to vulnerable individuals and families experiencing financial crises. These services are free and include emergency relief, broad financial capability building services, financial counselling and access to microfinance products.

Income management

Many people experience tough times, especially during separation. Income Management is one way to help people manage their money and gain control over their lives, for the benefit of themselves and their children.

Related links

Money and Property

Services Australia - Child Support

ASIC’s MoneySmart

ASIC Financial Counselling

ASIC Financial advisers register

Next steps

Think about your financial needs and goals to get your money on track

Look into your child support options

If you need extra help, talk to a Services Australia Financial Information Service Officer

Book a session with a financial counsellor or licenced financial adviser

Seek Legal Advice on property settlement

Last updated: