Legal Advice

Legal assistance for family law disputes is available from a number of government-funded organisations to assist vulnerable members of the community.

Family law advice is also available from private legal practitioners, including family law specialists.

Family Relationship Advice Line

The Family Relationship Advice Line 1800 050 321 can refer you to a service which can provide free information and simple advice about family law.

Legal Aid Commissions

Legal aid commissions are independent statutory bodies established under state and territory legislation. In each state and territory, legal aid commissions deliver a wide range of legal assistance services in legal matters, including family law.

General legal assistance, including information and advice, is available free of charge to everyone, including through free brochures, information sessions or telephone legal advice.

To be eligible for a grant of legal assistance for legal representation, you must satisfy the means and merits tests, and meet the relevant legal aid commission’s guidelines. Legal aid commissions determine eligibility for their legal services and the extent of assistance they provide in individual cases.

Select your state or territory for specific legal aid information:

Community Legal Centres

Community Legal Centres are independent, not-for-profit, community-based organisations that provide free legal advice, casework and information and a range of community development services to their local or special interest communities. Community Legal Centres' work is targeted at people experiencing or vulnerable to disadvantage and those with special needs.

Community Legal Centres also provide information, advice and assistance in family law matters, including matters involving allegations of family violence.

You can search for a CLC close to you on the National Association of Community Legal Centres website.

Family law specialists

State and Territory law societies and bar associations provide some legal practitioners with specialist accreditation in family law. The Family Law Section of the Law Council of Australia provides a list of State and Territory law societies and bar associations, which can be searched to find a specialist family lawyer in your area.

Indigenous Legal Assistance program

The Indigenous Legal Assistance program funds organisations to deliver culturally appropriate legal assistance services necessary to ensure that Indigenous Australians receive the help needed to assist them to overcome their legal problems and fully exercise their legal rights.

Eight Indigenous organisations are funded under the program to deliver legal assistance services at a number of permanent sites, court circuits and outreach locations in urban, rural and remote areas.

These are:

Related links

National Legal Aid

Family Law Section Law Council of Australia

National Association of Community Legal Centres

Next steps

Call the Family Relationship Advice Line 1800 050 321.

Contact the Legal Aid Commission in your State or Territory.

Contact a Community Legal Service or a family lawyer near you.

Last updated: